A person who believed to have stolen millions of rand from the Living Legends Legacy Program has been arrested, said the Arts and Culture Department on Saturday.
The man, whose permanent address is in Johannesburg, was arrested in the Durban hawks on Saturday, said Minister of Foreign Affairs Nathi Mthethwa Asanda Magaqa.
READ: Mthethwa shocked by alleged R8m theft from & # 39; live legends & # 39; account
The program was launched in 2015 by the Department of Arts and Culture to honor "living legends" in art, culture and cultural heritage.
In January, it appeared that R8m had been thrown and stolen from the Living Legends Trust bank account.
"I said in January, and I say once again that a theft of such a large scale has occurred, is in itself terrible. But that theft has occurred against the living legends of this nation, our living treasures – as The art department and culture support precisely because, as a nation, we owe it so much – leaving me in shocked disbelief, "Mthethwa said in a statement.
He said he was very relieved to hear that a suspect was now in custody.
"The Institute of Arts and Culture continues to involve the bank in question because it must absolutely explain how a bank account subject to strict controls beyond existing strict banking regulations can be compromised in this way. We will not rest until we have all the answers we seek, including emergency money recovery aid. "
KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.
– FOLLOW News24 on Twitter