Wednesday , January 20 2021

Factory robot impales man with steel tips after malfunction



A Chinese factory worker has survived being cut with 10 metal girls when a robot failed.

The 49-year-old, named Mr. Zhou, worked at a porcelain factory in Hunan Province at night when he was hit by a falling robot arm.

The accident resulted in him being impaled with feet long, half-thick metal bars, People's Daily reported.

He was first taken to a local hospital before being transferred to Xiangya Hospital at Central South University because of the severity of his injuries.

Six steel bars fixed on a steel plate pierced his right shoulder and chest, and four penetrated elsewhere in his body.

During the operation, the doctors found that one of the bars missed an artery of only 0.1 mm. The rods also prevented doctors from performing x-rays before surgery.

"They were relatively large, so there was no means to fit the patient into the X-ray, while the nails themselves could have caused interference with X-rays," said Wu Panfeng, a lecturer in hand micro-surgery.

Surgeons worked through the night to take out all the rods in Zhou's body.

His condition is now described as stable and he will undergo treatment and physical therapy to help his recovery and he is already able to move his right arm.

Sir. Zhou was lucky not to suffer the same fate as American factory worker Wanda Holbrook. Maintenance technicians were killed by a rogue robot who had peered into the area in which she worked and shattered her head.

The 57-year-old inspected machines in an area where components were assembled when the robot "surprised Wanda, entered the section she worked in", submitted legal documents filed at the time that was said.

By 2015, another automotive worker, this time in Germany, was also killed by a robot.

The unnamed 22-year-old man was part of a team that set the stationary robot on a Volkswagen plant as it grabbed and crushed him against a metal plate.

Last year, a construction worker survived miraculously after he was electrocuted, thrown from his workstation and then impaled through the anus of a four foot steel rod.

Yang Ming, 37, had accidentally touched live wires on a construction site, and the shock sent him fly backwards on the protruding metal rod.

The rescuers left the pole inside and hurried him to the hospital so that surgeons could fish it out.

Ming had to undergo seven hours of surgery at Sichuan University West China Hospital in Chengdu, the capital of China's southwest Sichuan province.

This article originally appeared on The Sun and was reproduced with permission


Source link