Finn Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes) Sunday won the Australian Grand Prix of Formula 1, the first race of the season, and beat his teammate Lewis Hamilton in the pole position.
The British five-hour champion was second before Dutch Max Verstappen (Red Bull) and German Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari).
The Italian team that emerged as favorite, taking into account their results in winter training, was thus out of the podium. Monegasque Charles Leclerc finished fifth.
Bottas, who fell second, managed to win the fastest round in the race, which was awarded for the first time this season since 1959.
The top 10 will be completed by Danish driver Kevin Magnussen (Haas), Nico Hülkenberg (Renault), Finnish rider Kimi Raikkonen (Alfa Romeo Racing), Canada's Lance Stroll (Racing Point) and Russian Daniil Kvyat (Toro Rosso).
In these last eight editions, "the policeman" won only in an apartment at Albert Parks Melbourne's race (Hamilton in 2015).
As in the previous year, the race was characterized by difficulties in the pit stops.
Haas, whose two cars were due to leave in 2018 due to the fact that the wheels were rigidly fixed, again had problems this year to change one of Frenchman Romain Grosjean's wheels. Alfa Romeo Racing had a similar setback in their two cars.
Spain's Carlos Sainz Jr (McLaren) was the first to leave this season due to a fault in his Renault engine.
Overall ranking of the 2019 Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix at the Albert Park Circuit in Melbourne:
1. Valtteri Bottas (FIN / Mercedes) 307.574 km at 1 hour 25: 27.325
2. Lewis Hamilton (GBR / Mercedes) of 20,886
3. Max Verstappen (HOL / Red Bull-Honda) at 22,520
4. Sebastian Vettel (ALE / Ferrari) of 57.109
5. Charles Leclerc (MON / Ferrari) at 58,230
6. Kevin Magnussen (DIN / Haas-Ferrari) at. 1: 27,156
7. Nico Hülkenberg (ALE / Renault) 1 round
8. Kimi Raikkonen (FIN / Alfa Romeo Racing-Ferrari) 1 round
9. Lance Stroll (CAN / Racing Point-Mercedes) in 1 round
10. Daniil Kvyat (RUS / Toro Rosso-Honda) in 1 round
11. Pierre Gasly (FRA / Red Bull-Honda) 1 round
12. Lando Norris (GBR / McLaren-Renault) 1 round
13. Sergio Pérez (MEX / Racing Point-Mercedes) with one lap
14. Alexander Albon (THA / Toro Rosso-Honda) in 1 round
15. Antonio Giovinazzi (ITA / Alfa Romeo Racing-Ferrari) 1 lap
16. George Russell (GBR / Williams-Mercedes) 2 laps
17. Robert Kubica (POL / Williams-Mercedes) 3 laps
Best round in the race: Valtteri Bottas (FIN / Mercedes) 1: 25.580 on the 57th round
They left the GP:
Carlos Sainz Jr (ESP / McLaren-Renault): engine, 10th round
Daniel Ricciardo (AUS / Renault): mechanical problem, 29th round
Romain Grosjean (FRA / Haas-Ferrari): mechanical problem, 30th round
1. Valtteri Bottas (FIN) 26 points
2. Lewis Hamilton (GBR) 18
3. Max Verstappen (HOL) 15
4. Sebastian Vettel (ALE) 12
5. Charles Leclerc (MON) 10
6. Kevin Magnussen (DIN) 8
7. Nico Hülkenberg (ALE) 6
8. Kimi Raikkonen (FIN) 4
9. Lance Stroll (CAN) 2
10. Daniil Kvyat (RUS) 1
Classification of builders:
1. Mercedes 44
2. Ferrari 22
3. Red Bull Honda 15
4. Haas-Ferrari 8
5. Renault 6
6. Alfa Romeo Racing-Ferrari 4
8. Toro Rosso-Honda 1