Published Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:20 AM EST
Last Updated Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 8:22 AM EST
The parents of the Quebec City Mosque shooter have complained that their son's phrase is "very serious".
Raymond Bissonnette and Manon Marchand released an open letter on Monday and questioned the severity of the 40-year-old judge handed over to their son last week.
Alexandre Bissonnette, 29, was ordered to serve six ways of life without any chance of parole for 40 years on Friday to kill six men and injure six others at Islamic Cultural Center Mosque on January 29, 2017.
His parents say the sentence is the hardest imposed in Quebec when the death penalty was abolished in 1976.
"Before they allow successive sentences, those convicted of serious crimes can hope for the opportunity to apply for parole after 25 years and be subject to Parole Board of Canada's oversight for the rest of their lives," they wrote. .
"Unlike other countries, Canada has chosen an open door policy that welcomes people from all over the world and gives them hope for another chance in life. Why refuse to catch even the weakest hope?"
At the hearing, Justice Minister Francois Huot said that Bissonnette should earn six sentences of 25 years at a time for the murder charges and another 15 years, which should also be served simultaneously, for attempted murder.
Huot denied the Crown's call to judge Bissonnette for 150 years without any chance of parole, arguing for a sentence of 50 years or more would constitute cruel and unusual punishment under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
Sentences that exceed the life expectancy of an offender and give a reasonable hope of release are "grossly disproportionate and completely incompatible with human dignity", he wrote in his 246-page decision.
After the verdict was heard on Friday, members of the Muslim community said they were "disappointed" and "astonished" by the outcome.
"(Bissonnette) stated that he wanted to kill more people, he was disappointed with himself, that he did not kill enough," said Imam Hassan Guillet, adding that the victims' families were seeking a peace of mind and healing that judgment did not deliver. .
"We know after 40 years that Mr. Bissonnette will be 67, we do not know whether he will be alive or not, but orphans are likely to be alive and the debate re-opened," he said.
In the letter, Bissonnett's parents said their son was bullied while growing up.
"Alexandre suffered psychological and physical bullying during his school year, which had devastating effects on his personality. If we really want to prevent such a tragedy again, it does not seem to me that the solution does not leave anyone up forever but rather try to understand and prevent bullying better, which is a serious societal problem that continues to sacrifice among our young people, "the letter reads.
— With files from The Canadian Press