Sunday , January 17 2021

The strange "dark fluid": the new theory that explains what 95% of the universe is made of



Today, we only know what 5% of the universe is made of: the remaining 95% consists of two invisible and unknown materials: dark energy and dark matter.

How little we know about them are based on their effects on gravity.

personWe only know what 5% of our universe is made of.

Researchers do not really know what these drugs are, but theirs theoretical models They give track of how they work.

The dark material exerts a gravity that holds united galaxies; Dark energy, on the other hand, shows a repulsive force that makes the universe expanded.

  • Why the Large Hadron Collider will close for two years

Dark matter and dark energy have so far been observed as phenomena separatedBut a new study from Oxford University suggests that both are actually part of the same concept, equally strange and mysterious.

The astrophysicist Jamie Farnes, author of the study, says that both substances make up one "dark fluid" of negative gravity.

  • How to make the invisible visible: This is the most complete card to date of dark material, one of the great mysteries of the universe

And this fluid, according to his theory, would be the substance of which 95% of the universe is made.

The world on the head

Imagine an object, like pushing it instead of moving away from you, approaching. It would be like gravity, but vice versa.

These objects, strange as they may think, are not a new concept, and hypothetically they are possible. They are called objects of negative mass or F, as the "dark liquid" proposed by Farnes.

In this way, the astrophysicist suggests a model that tries to explain how the forces in attraction and rejection they make up a strange substance that holds the universe together, but in constant expansion.

  • What is "floating light" and why is it considered the fifth state of matter

"The result is beautiful," writes Farnes in an Oxford statement. "Dark energy and dark material can be united in a single substance, and both effects can simply be explained as a matter of positive mass sailing in a sea of ​​negative masses."

spaceThere is attractiveness and repulsion in the universe.

It is like a constant flirt between the two forces, one positive and one negative that creates a cosmic halo That holds everything in place.

"The gravity of the positive massacre attracts negative masses from all directions, and when the negative mass fluid approaches the galaxy, it again exerts a stronger repulsive force on the galaxy, "explains Farnes.

  • How astronomers managed to measure the light of all the stars in the universe

In this way, the galaxy can rotate at high speeds without leaving flies in pieces.

spaceWe are far from revealing the great mysteries of the universe.

"So it seems like a simple one minus sign It can solve one of the oldest problems in physics, "says Farnes.

At least in spite of how elegant and intuitive Farnes's theory works, he is first acknowledging that there is still a long way to go to discover puzzles of the universe.

  • Create a "Negative Mass" item: Go to the opposite page of the one you press and defy Isaac Newton's physical laws.

"It is clear that this new theory generates many new questions," writes Farnes in the portal The conversation. "Attempting to understand the true nature of this beautiful, uniform and perhaps polarized universe has just begun."

line

BBC World<! – Get attached document of this news ->


Source link