Harambee Stars are optimistic that the Confederation of African Football (CAF) decision on the fate of Sierra Leone will benefit them after this week's 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying for West Africans.
Stars faced Leone Stars at Moi International Sports Center, Kasarani on Sunday with a victory sufficient to guarantee captain Victor Wanyama and his teammates qualification for next year's African coupon for the first time in 15 years.
But Football Kenya Federation announced Sunday evening that Caf had canceled the match.
In addition to the qualification, the termination has suspended Sh50 million government reward for the team as promised by Vice President William Ruto in qualification, in addition to training contributions and matching winning bonuses that would have been helpful especially for local based players.
Sierra Leone currently serves an indefinite ban on all football activities that FIFA imposes on the country because of government disturbances. If Caf confirms Sierra Leone will no longer participate in the qualification, Harambee Stars will be the Africa Cup of Nations as one of the two best teams in group "F" which will now have three namely Kenya, Ghana and Ethiopia.
At this point of the campaign, Kenya is at the top of the four teams with seven points. Ethiopia is second with four, Ghana third with three and Sierra Leone last with a similar tally as Black Stars.
If Caf suspends Sierra Leone, all points obtained from them will be deducted from the remaining teams.
Therefore, Kenya will remain the top with seven points from three matches while Ghana will be second in three points from two matches. Ethiopia will be the bottom with a score – minus the three points obtained in 1-0 home win against Leone Stars – from three matches. Should Ghana choose the highest points away to Ethiopia and home against Kenya, they will take their number to nine and win the group.
Kenya will mean, while losing to Black Stars and Ethiopia, Kwesi Appiah's accusations made his speech to four.
"Qualification is the ultimate goal," said Starfleet Patrick Matasi, who had already flown to Nairobi from his Addis Ababa base before the Sierra Leone game.
Matasi currently has its trade at the top of Ethiopia St Georges.
"So if this decision will help us qualify no problem even though my wish would have been to play that match, win and qualify", allow the store that has held three consecutive clean sheets in so many ages.
And in a related development, stars deputy captain Musa Mohammed, who makes his trade in Zambia, received the news of launch one day before embarking on a flight from Ndola to Nairobi.
"We must respect this decision ad, hope the authorities give us the three points, because the problem is not on our side," said the Nkana Center.
Sierra Leone lost back-to-back qualifier matches against Ghana last month and with the Harambee Stars match not taking place, they are now likely to be suspended from the competition.