LONDON, OCTOBER 2000: American Mig Greengard (31) lives every schackman's dream. He is part of legendary Garry Kasparov's World Cup team. This October day he is in the most sacred place, where Kasparov and the secretaries prepare openings. Greengard takes the camera and begins to snap. Then Kasparov's mother, Klara Kasparova, looks at him. A whirlwind of angry English and Russian phrases comes its way. Garry Kasparov gives a clear message: "Do not take pictures without permission from a mother."
– Klara ruled ironically. I still do not know if that event or Kasparov lost its second world cup against Vladimir Kramnik, who cost me the place at the breakfast table, says Greengard today.
Now the secretion of the World Cup matches is high again. An Youtube video from Saint Louis Chess Club – published Tuesday morning – ran for a list of openings Fabiano Caruana has worked before the World Championship match against Magnus Carlsen.
"Keeping opening preparations secret means everything. Even if you do not know anything specific, it's still extremely important to find out what openings your opponents work with, explains Greengard, who worked as a chess journalist before he became Kasparov's right hand.
– Must be completely furious
While Caruana and Carlsen were on their way to the fourth straight World Cup remix on Tuesday, the video was widely discussed among the audience and journalists in London. There are still many theories, including the fact that the video does not really reveal anything important – and that it's a deliberate attempt to fool Carlsen. At the press conference, Caruana refused to comment on the video.
Malcolm Pein in the British Broadcasting Telegraph believes that the video may have created a bad mood internally in Team Caruana.
– If they censored it, it has no effect. Then they only have fun. But if the video has ripped information, Caruana is furious, says the British chess reporter.
The famous Grandmaster and Youtuber Simon Williams agree.
"I do not know how much it will affect Caruana. It would really annoy me if somebody gave away all my secrets in a bad video." There are months of work. "He has to be furious," Williams said on his YouTube channel.
Keep in mind that the video helps Carlsen
Caruana did not seem to like themselves when the video was theme at the press conference on Tuesday. There were big contrasts with Carlsen. "I'm going to watch the video," said Norwegian.
Mike Klein, editor of content in chess.com, believes the disclosure could help Carlsen.
"There are millions of positions you may need to prepare for. If you provide such a file, your opponent may only need to examine one percent of the posts. Then you have done a lot of homework for the opponent – and that's no wonder, says Klein.
He is convinced that the video is not a trick. He simply believes that the Caruana team has made a big mistake.
"Do you think this affects Caruana while sitting on the board?"
– If the files are revealed, it may force you to decline the openings you have worked with. It seems strange to play these openings because you know the opponent is prepared for them, says Klein.
– So I think Caruana is bothering more before parties yet according to parties, he adds.
After four World Cup matches it is 2-2. Many five start Thursday at 16:00.