A dog, which showed signs of a brain tumor, was found to have a 7 cm (3in) needle inserted into the neck.
Toby, a 13-year-old Yorkshire terrier, was taken to a vet in Nairn on the Highlands after he had neck pain, struggled to walk and showed seizure symptoms.
X-rays later showed that the needle had pierced the spinal cord.
But Edinburgh surgeons were able to extract it, and Toby continued to get full return.
Owner Alexander Jamieson from Beauly near Inverness said: "We feel that without the help of the experts in Edinburgh, Toby would not be here today.
"The care and attention he got was out of this world and we are happy to see him back to his old self."
Toby was referred to the specialized surgical clinic at the University of Edinburgh's Small Animal Hospital at Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies, where veterinarians performed a CT scan to assess any major damage to his spinal cord in August 2018.
They found out that the needle – which still had wire attached – was dangerously close to his brain.
Toby has now come to the point where he is able to walk and run normally.
It is not known how the needle ended up in Toby's throat, but veterinarians suspect he could have eaten it or laid his head on it.
Samantha Woods, Associate Professor and Jessica McCarthy, Senior Animal Training Clinical Exercise Researcher, said they were happy with Toby's progress.
Ms Woods added: "We are really happy to see Toby back to full health thanks to the efforts of his veterinarians and our special teams here in Edinburgh."